The Red Cross Support at Home Service can offer includes:
- Taking service users home from hospital and helping them settle back in at home
- Transport for health appointments (patients must be able to access the vehicle independently)
- Undertaking home safety checks (e.g. fire risk, slips and trip hazards)
- Medication collection and delivery
- Delivery of small equipment (e.g. wheelchairs / commodes / walking frames / perching stools)
- Welfare checks post discharge
- Shopping support, including taking Service Users shopping
- Providing emotional support and companionship
- Enhanced signposting / actively referring to other agencies and community support.
They assist people to meaningfully connect with relevant support through partnership-working with health and social care services, and the voluntary and community sector – ensuring smooth transition of referral or support for the Service User:
- Linking people back in with friends and neighbours
- Helping regain confidence and independence
Their service runs 7 days a week, 10:00 – 18:00, 365 days a year.
Referrals can be made either by completing a referral form by email, or by calling the Support at Home referral line on 01733 207113.
The Support at Home service is free of charge.
There is a charge for wheelchairs and mobility aids if not in receipt of benefits.